We can all assume that smoking around your pets is probably not the best idea, but the waters become a little murkier when it comes to vaping. As this practice becomes more prevalent, the Bayside Animal Hospital staff get asked more and more, “can I vape in the same room as my pets?” Vaping around pets definitely requires some precautions, and not all are self-evident.
For many smokers, vaping is a healthier alternative than cigarettes to get their nicotine fix. While it is a better alternative, it is not totally benign.
Vaping around pets does hold some danger. Vape smoke contains nicotine, which is toxic to pets. There are potentially other ingredients in vape juice that are aerosolized and can also be problematic for animals. Not to mention, elements such as THC, propylene glycol, and even formaldehyde can carry their own toxic risks.
Secondhand vape smoke can lead to a variety of symptoms, including:
- Increased heart rate
- Lowered blood pressure
- Personality change
With continued inhalation, pets could also experience seizures, tremors, weakness, or heart arrhythmias. Irritation of the airways can also cause respiratory distress.
Besides the inhalation of vape smoke, curious pets may also be tempted to munch on good-smelling vape accessories. These items are not only a foreign body hazard, but ingesting the chemicals can be toxic. Likewise, pets can ingest these chemicals when grooming themselves after vapor droplets have settled on their coats.
Tips for Vaping Around Pets Safely
While vaping has its dangers, there is definitely no need to quit because of your animals. Vaping around pets can be done safely; you just need to be sure to take some extra precautions, like:
- Be sure that all vaping items, like atomizers, juice, batteries, etc., are safely stored in a pet-inaccessible place
- Get rid of used batteries and containers safely
- Charge your vape pen in place inaccessible to your pets
- Clean your vaping accessories well so that the smell of any vape residue does not draw unwanted attention
- Consider non-nicotine vape juice and good ventilation if you must vape in the same room as your pet
- If you do vape in the same room as your pet, take precautions not to allow droplets to settle on your pet’s coat
- Avoid vaping indoors when possible
- Keep coats and purses of houseguests in a secure location so that your pet does not find dangers like vape cartridges on their own
Can vaping kill cats? Without proper precautions, possibly. Can dogs be allergic to vape smoke? While an actual allergy is less likely, there are plenty of reasons not to expose your pup.
When it comes to vaping around pets, safety is important. It is your responsibility, as a pet owner, to be aware of the hazard in your home and take proper precautions to keep your pet safe.
If you think that your pet might have ingested or inhaled vape juice or smoke, contact us right away. As will any potential pet toxin, quick action is important. While vaping may be a better option than smoking for us humans, it can certainly have some serious effects on our pets. Using precautions can help keep everyone safe.